March 2, 2015

BASIC PANCAKES (vegan + gf)




Today I woke up really craving pancakes. I hadn't had them in a while, a loooong while. Seriously, it's more than 2 months since I had pancakes! How could I have survived?! I have NO idea.
Given that this week i have no school and am turning 18 exactly in 7 days, I decided to take good care of myself and do what I want to do (along with studying for my exams next week). And what is better than starting a day with pancakes?
This is my first attempt at a vegan pancake and it was a great success! They hold together perfectly, taste incredible and are easy to make. 
You should try this single-serving basic vegan pancakes!



Single-Serving Pancakes (vegan + GF)

makes around 6 pancakes
Ingredients:
  •      65g whole-wheat flour (I used 30g spelt flour and 35g buckwheat flour)
  •      1 tsp baking powder
  •      ½ tsp baking soda
  •      100 ml plant-based milk (almond, coconut, soy, hazelnut…)*
  •      1 chia egg
  •      ½ mashed banana
  •      ½ tsp cinnamon (optional)
*I highly recommend almond milk


Toppings:
  •      ½ banana
  •      1 tbsp peanut butter
  •      1/3 cup apple/banana sauce (optional)
  •      2-3 tbsp maple syrup (agave or honey if not vegan)
  •      Sprinkle with nuts, seeds, fruit… (I used hemp seeds, sunflower seeds and cranberries)


1.) Combine 1 tbsp chia seeds with 3 tbsp water. Mix well and leave for 10 minutes until it takes on a gooey gel texture.

2.) Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl put in the chia egg, plant-based milk and mashed banana. Mix with an electric mixer until it’s a smooth mixture. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. The final mixture should be creamy (like nana ice cream). If it’s still too dry, add a bit more of milk.

3.) Preheat a frying pan to a medium heat and add a little plant-based oil (coconut or sunflower work well). Scoop the batter onto the preheated pan and quickly spread the batter out into a circle.  Cook until bubbles appear on the surface and the edge looks more firm, then flip and allow the other side to cook (for about 2 minutes). Add more oil as needed and repeat for the other pancakes.

4.) When done, add your favorite toppings and voilà!



What’s holding you back? Go on and treat yourself to some pancakes!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Configuration After installing, you might want to change these default settings: